The church covenant is a voluntary agreement by members of Salem Christian Church whereby they promise to conduct their lives in such a way as to glorify God and promote the ongoing of His church. Every member should study it carefully, refer to it often, and seek to live by it. It clearly outlines the obligations of church membership:
Having been led, as we believe, by the Spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior, and on the profession of our faith, we do now in the presence of god, angels, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another, as one body in Christ.
We engage, therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit, to walk together in Christian love; to strive for the advancement of this prosperity and spirituality; holiness, and comfort; to promote its prosperity and spirituality; to sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrines; to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expense of the church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the gospel through all nations.
We also engage to maintain family and sacred devotions; to faithfully educate our children; to seek the salvation of our family and friends; to walk cautiously in the world; to be just in our dealings; faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our behavior; to avoid all gossiping, bad-mouthing, and excessive anger; to abstain; and to be passionate in our efforts to advance the kingdom of our Savior.
We further engage to watch over one another in brotherly love; to remember each other in prayer; to aid each other in sickness and distress; to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and courtesy in speech; to be slow to take offense, but always ready for reconciliation, and mindful of the rules of our Savior to secure it without delay.
We moreover engage that when we remove from this place we will, as soon as possible, unite with some other church, where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word.
BASIS OF COVENANT
The obligations of church membership outlined in the covenant are all scriptural, as may be seen from the following study.
I. Salvation and Baptism (John 1:11–12; Matt. 28:19-20)
II. Duties to the Church
1. To walk together in Christian love (John 13:34-35).
2. To strive for the advancement of the church and promote its prosperity and spirituality
(Phil. 1; 27; 2 Tim. 2:15; 2 Cor. 7:1; 2 Peter 3:11).
3. To sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrine (Heb. 10:25; Matt. 28:19;
I Cor. 11:23-26; Jude 3).
4. To give it pre-eminence in my life (Matt. 6:33).
5. To contribute cheerfully and regularly (I Cor. 16:2; 2Cor. 8:6- 7).
6. To carry my membership when I move and be active in church work wherever I live
(Acts 11:19-21; 18:24-28).
III. Duties in Personal Christian Living
1. To maintain family and secret devotions (I Thess. 5:17-18; Acts 17:11).
2. To faithfully educate the children (2 Tim. 3:15; Deut 6:4-7)
3. To seek the salvation of the lost (Acts 1:8; Matt. 4:19; Psalms 126:5-6; Prov. 11:30).
4. To walk cautiously in the world, and to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment (Eph. 5:15; Phil. 2:14-15; 1 Peter 2:11-12).
5. To avoid gossip and excessive anger (Eph. 4:31; 1 Peter 2:21; Col. 3:8; James 3:1-2).
6. To be passionate in our efforts for Christ (Titus 2:14).
IV. Duties to Fellow Members
1. To watch over one another in love (I Peter 1:22).
2. To pray for one another (James 5:16).
3. To aid in sickness and distress (Gal. 6.2; James 2:14-17).
4. To cultivate sympathy and courtesy (I Peter 3:8). 5. To be slow to take offense, always ready for reconciliation (Eph 4:30-32).